Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Adventures In Babysitting

When I was a young girl, I was obsessed with the book series, The Babysitters' Club.  I belonged to the book club and received 3 books a month (which I devoured in half that time), a newsletter, and some kind of toy or whatever.  I had my own "kid kit" and was ready and willing to babysit any kid, any time.  I never really did, though.  Maybe it was because we lived on a a block without many young kids or something.  Anyway, I digress.

Last night I babysat my 6 week old niece.  I have been over to visit weekly since she arrived and really enjoy spending with her the short time she is awake between eating and sleeping on my chest.  I figured it would be a piece of cake to change a couple of diapers, feed her a couple of bottles, and watch her sleep peacefully until my brother and SIL returned home.

It was, for the most part. 

My SIL fed her before they left and I burped her and held her for a bit and then put her in the new swing I brought over which Nugget's mom is letting them borrow.  She loved it and fell asleep in mere minutes.  She slept for over an hour before I had to change her and feed her.  I don't know what happened during that feeding, but she was FUSSY.  I got some good burps out of her, but she was still not a happy girl.

At the same time all this was going on, JB had arrived with dinner.  I was starving, but didn't want to make him take a fussy baby, so I didn't really ask.  She wasn't happy no matter what I did with her and my hunger was getting the best of me.  I finally had to ask JB to help me get my dinner together, but to my surprise, he asked me if I wanted him to take the baby (Awwwww!).  I finally got to eat and he was doing his best to keep her happy.  She had already spit up quite a but of what I had fed her, and when he took her, she ended up spitting up the rest on him.  Poor girl!

We were finally able to get her to calm down enough to put her back in the swing and keep her relaxed.  She slept for another 30 minutes or so before she woke up hungry again.  I can't say I blame her since she spit up most of her last feeding.  JB had already headed home (it was MY gig after all), so I changed her and gave her another bottle.  She did much better this time and ended up falling right to sleep on my chest.


It was overall an enjoyable experience and I plan to do it many more times in the coming weeks/months/years, but just the way I was feeling during the time that she was fussy and upset tells me that I am nowhere near ready to be having one of my own.  I'll just work on this whole Auntie thing for a while.

No comments:

Similar Distractions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...